Guest post by Paul Short
Below are the top 9 reasons why companies should blog.
- They are the perfect public relations tool. Their personal nature gives you and your organization a unique voice online – a voice heard by the people who matter – your customers and clients, other bloggers and the media.
- Blogs act as instant-feedback mechanisms. They allow readers to respond to your posts via the comments section or link to them on their own blogs using Trackback. These features provide near real-time feedback on ideas, opinions and issues that affect them, or highlight and address new or existing problems.
- Blogs help to position you and your company as experts and leaders in your industry.
- Their simplicity and addictive nature allow you to share more of your knowledge more often. Blogs are about sharing what you know, think and believe on an ongoing basis.
- Search engines index your blog posts more often because of more frequently updated content. Your ongoing blog and knowledge sharing shows up in the search results, making it easier for your customers and prospects to find you.
- You can have many conversations with many people at once – something nearly impossible in the brick and mortar world.
- They’re automatic buzz-machines. Go ahead and try it. Blog about something new – a new product or service launch, an improvement to an existing product, or a newly appointed manager. See how fast the news spreads throughout the blogosphere.
- They’re self promotional due to their RSS feeds being aggregated across the net almost instantly, exposing your knowledge to a growing number of potential company evangilists.
- Companies who blog are considered early adopters, thought leaders and “in”. Blogging is cool and companies who blog are cool.
But the most important thing to remember when blogging is that you’re not a speaker talking to an audience, you are sharing and interacting. You are one more voice to be heard and how powerful that voice is depends on how much interacting you do. It’s the opposite of Advertising.
Paul Short is a veteran internet marketer, professional blogging consultant and owns the popular blog directory http://www.getblogs.com